This group is headed by Shelia Harper, the society's Warden of Ancient Monuments and Archaeology Recorder.
A Late Saxon Settlement at Mawgan Porth was the target for the group in July 2014
The Settlement, dated to AD 850-1050, was excavated in 1949-52, 1954 and 1974. It consists of three groups of 'courtyard houses' and a burial ground. Each house had a long room divided to accommodate livestock at one end and it opened into a courtyard bordered by smaller buildings. Among artefacts uncovered at the time were fragments of the distinctive bar-lug pottery.
Following negotiations with the landowner and English Heritage NOCS Archaeology were given permissions to start clearing the overgrown site. It has been some years since the undergrowth was last cleared away and thus the first stage was to cut an access route through to the buildings!
Day 3 clearance team
Sat 2nd August 2014 - Multiple rooms emerge from the undergrowth
2nd September 2014
20th October 2014
The A-Team goes panning for tin on Porth beach on a bright and sunny November afternoon.
The world importance of Cornish tin was established as early as the thirteenth century. At that time nearly all of it was produced by tin streaming
Shelia and Steve, Steve claims to have isolated some tin! - Denise and Anmarie
22 November 2013
Visit to Doublestiles Cross, Cross Base at Church Street, St. Columb Minor, Penrose Cross Base.
26 April 2013
NOCAG Looking for Vivian's Dock
Remains of Vivian's Dock uncovered at low water Boxing Day 2002
March 29th 2013
Members meet in high spirits at St.Colan Parish Church
Colan Cross and Lady Nance Well
March 1st 2013
Over the years a constant flow of water across the ground has caused the area to become water logged.
Assessing the situation
Channels cut through the accumulated silt . . . . .
. . . . . to drain away the excess water
August 31st 2012
September 28th 2012
SW 8705 6815
St.Eval Longstone is one of several similar prehistoric monuments in the area and appear to mark a boundary; it would seem these standing stones were laid down to rest by the ancient peoples of the land once this function had been fulfilled. More recently 18th and 19th century Antiquarians - perhaps misguidedly - re-erected many of them. This particular monument was re-erected by our Society in 1932.
It appears on the 1840 Tithe Map as the 'Boundary Rock'- on the boundary between the parishes of St. Mawgan and St. Eval.
Over time the stone had become overgrown - time for the 'A' Team to step in.
Members of the Archaeology Group busy clearing out the undergrowth
The smaller stone re-appears once more thanks to Janet . . .
. . . Hilary tidies up
Richard, Sheila, Rachal and Hilary - another successful job for the 'A' Team
July 29th 2011
The bridge is an ancient pack horse bridge at the head of the river Gannel. In the 18th century Welsh coal was unshipped at Trevemper and Penpol Creek on the Gannel for the Truro Smelting Works. The route of the pack horse track can be followed today.
The Gannel was of some importance, having an Iron Age cliff castle above it, and being a port for nearby Crantock in the 13th and 14th centuries.
1613 The bridge is named
1701 County Rate called for its repair
1712 Bishop of Exeter had his salmon weir or hatch at Trevemper worth £5 annually
1839 Two arches washed away by storm water. Later rebuilt with one arch.
1925 A big bridge is built parallel with the old pack horse bridge
1939 Cornwall County Council close old bridge
1939-197? Various attempts made by NOCS/FOCS to reopen bridge to pedestrians.
1977? Cornwall County Council announce they will repair the bridge and make a footpath across it.
2011 NOCS group tidy up the bridge as their first clearance work of historic monuments in the Newquay area.
Members of the Archaeology Group busy clearing the ancient bridge
Rachel, Sheila, Richard, Janet and Hilary
March 25th 2011
Members of the Archaeology Group learning how to recognise and date flints