The earliest mining occured over 2,000 years ago at Trevelgue Head, Porth. Excavations in 1939 showed it to be the site of an important place for the production of tools and weapons during the Iron Age. The entire process was carried out here from the initial mining of the raw material (iron ore), through to smelting in kilns and then final manufacture of the artefacts. It has been described as the 'Sheffield' of its day.
The site was protected by a series of high banks, still very much in evidence today. At one point a bank which now reaches the cliff edge can be seen to continue further along the edge. This errosion of the coast in between indicates just how extensive the mining activitiy must have been.
Although the 1939 excavations were carried out by professionals and extensive records kept, a full report was never published. [Because of the outbreak of WWII?] However funding has now been made available for this to happen.
The area behind Tolcarne and Barrowfields was extensively mined for a short perion in the mid 1860s. It is now built over, the only indication of its activities being drainage adits in the cliffs.
Fistral golf course inherits its distinctive pot marked appearence from the Newquay Consoles lead mine that once operated on this site.