This small building perched high above the sea at Towan Head is of uncertain age. Some estimates put its origins as early as the 14th century however the current building is probably mid 19th century. It may have originally been used as a hermitage.
Named after the Huer, an important figure in the pilchard fishing industry that once thrived in Newquay. The Huer would watch out from his high vantage point for the shoals of fish to arrive in the bay and then call out to the town by shouting 'Heva, Heva'. The seine boats with their long nets would be launched at once but then had to rely upon the Huer for directions. Holding 'Furze bushes' in his hands the Huer would direct the boats so they could first locate and then surround the fish.
At first just an oval shape building, a forecourt with five foot walls was later added to its seaward side. The original door facing more towards the habour was blocked up and a new doorway made opening on to the forecourt.
Owned by the Lord of the Manor Col. Treffry it was leased to the Council in 1906 for 983 years at the cost of one shilling per year. When the Council took pocession they converted it into a public shelter by widening the doorway and considerabley reducing the height of the forecourt walls. Today the now Grade II listed building has iron gates locked across the doorway and can no longer be use for shelter